Tuesday, December 28, 2010

My Top 5 Albums of 2010


1. Autechre - Oversteps

Autechre take the best of their glitched beats & ambient washes and add an accessible spin to it all, resulting in my favourite album of 2010.

2. Arcade Fire - The Suburbs

Already a contemporary classic, this album somehow feels like it's been around for ages. Despite the reserved positivity of some of the lyrics, it really just makes me want to leave the sprawl even more.

3. Envy - Recitation

Lots of pained screaming and kitschy, melodramatic post-rock instrumentation in a quirky Japanese wrapper (love the traces of Christmas carol melodies).

4. Blonde Redhead - Penny Sparkle

Blonde Redhead go electro-pop with what has to be my second favourite album of theirs, after the lovely 23.

5. Autechre - Move of Ten

More material in the vein of Oversteps, though lacking the textural hooks of that album.

And for some context, and because I love lists, here is my Top 10 Albums Overall, with the albums presented in alphabetical order:

Arovane - Lilies
Autechre - Draft 7.30
The Knife - Silent Shout
Ladytron - 604
M83 - Saturdays=Youth
The Magnetic Fields - 69 Love Songs
Mogwai - Mr. Beast
My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
The Organ - Sinking Hearts EP
Radiohead - Amnesiac

No comments:

Post a Comment